Firstly, thank you all for all your efforts this year - I hope you all agree it has been a fantastic year for the cricket club both on and off the pitch.
This time last year I was asking for your support in what was going to be a very exciting year for Witham Cricket Club (in conjunction with the hockey club). Can I say that that support came up ‘trumps’ and we could not have achieved what we have without that commitment from you all, so a huge thank you both personally and from the club.
I recently did some totting up and if we had had people in to build, supply and do all the work for us, we would have had to spend in excess of £99,000 and we have achieved this with a spend of approximately £10,000 and the goodwill and effort of our club members. Just to recap, this year we have achieved:
- A new shingle drive
- A fantastic new score hut with state of the art scoreboard
- Brand new (double glazed) windows, which have been lowered and are certainly much better for watching the cricket
- Complete re-wiring of the pavilion
- New lighting throughout
- A pavilion that has been re-decorated and looks so much better
- Sauls Bridge completely re-painted inside and out
- Bob’s garden
- A new patio
- A new BBQ
- New covers
- A ground that now is well kept and looks the part
- Fence between the nets and the neighbour's house, completely re-painted and the crazy paving
These are the things that just spring to mind and have certainly taken our club forward. This shows what can happen if we work together and get fantastic support from the community and local businesses and long may it continue. All that said, as you will all agree we are a long way from being finished. Still to do:
- Metin Ledwell is currently sanding the bottom end of the pavilion and once this is complete and re-varnished the new carpet will go down
- The plan is then to get the pool table and darts installed
- We then intend to put back up all the cricket and hockey memorabilia – including mounting the shirts permanently in the club
- We need to get the electric ‘split’ to be able to mount the television at the far end of the pavilion
- We need to finish the floor of the score hut
- Partition off for the umpires' changing room
- Wire up the electricity for the score box
- Create the storage area
- Decorate throughout the score box
- Guttering on both the score hut and the main pavilion
- Mend the drive supports
- Re-spread the shingle
- Paint the containers
- Create a new trophy cabinet
So as you can see, whilst we have achieved so much there is still lots to do! I am sorry to do this to you all before Christmas but could we please pencil in the weekends of February 25th and 26th and March 10th and 11th as CRICKETFORCE 2012. If we can achieve all of this by these dates hopefully we can then just enjoy the cricket season on a maintenance basis rather than lots of huge projects!!
Finally, I hope you all have a great Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.